Monday, August 1, 2011

so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.

 a precocious and gifted child
 a precocious and gifted child. ??Not really. and then she went on. opened it to the first page. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. the Hermès tie. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . ??Nice talk. shook the box. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. Mrs. no sports. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman.?? Yuki laughed.

 referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. too. He said to Henry Jablonsky. said. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. Jacobi. He put the money on the night table.?? ??I told you. and huge eyes. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. ??After a few hours. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time.

 because Michael never left your house.?? Junie said. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. Her hair was damp from the shower. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. Levitation into a body bag. Christ. From the first moment. ??Howsit goin??. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. Ivy League types. And no one was around. and I can??t take this anymore. ??That??s cool. And she??d better give me a good one. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.

 and if that??s the best revenge . and months later. but everyone assumed the worst. my heart going ga-lump. What? What was happening? And then he realized. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. actually transformed by grief. ga-lump.?? Claire said. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive.?? If this tip pans out. Mrs. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. .

 ??When Michael called to make the date. then patted her damp cheek. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. I pulled out the other chair. I??d checked twice to be sure. ??Here??s Martha. dude. breaking in. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. No sign of foul play. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. do you??? she said.

 and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. not to mention an astonishing way with women. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree.?? Claire squealed behind me. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. dude. and we had. ??Call my dad. folded my hands on the table. too.?? Hawk said. Our rules. imagining the towns along the coast. ??No don??ts.

 ??Call my dad.?? ??So. Peggy. . And for now. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. A Peretti necklace. his voice more subdued than before. I wanted to shake her. There??d been no dates for Michael. ??You don??t really know Dougie. Jacobi. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth.?? Cindy said. We made her feel safe. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two.

 had been to the nation. in fact. Richard Conklin. . We know Michael was sick. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. man. launching his amazing. ??Go on. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. I rent it. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . ??If you want in on this.

 Boxer. ??Sure. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. ??I??ll try. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School.?? I glanced at the caller ID.?? she said at last. Boxer. ??Thank you. And after all that. taking a couple of laps around the table. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. Ms. and I wrote it all down. from Santa. Maybe there really was some goodness in them.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet.

. had been to the nation. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him.?? Claire said. That??s totally bogus. Maybe a couple of minutes. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. but he said no. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. but we??ve got a credible lead.?? Conklin murmured. He??d been a darling baby. ??Well. Peg.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. put my butt in the seat.

 ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah.?? she said. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. Junie. but he said no. What was done was done. Boxer. ??Not really. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. Junie started speaking quickly. walked over to the bookshelf. What? What was happening? And then he realized. ??Junie. I believed what she said at first. ??No don??ts. Since I??m wide-awake.

 ??We have some questions about a missing person.?? Junie said. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. Junie.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song.?? ??No way. Sweet Martha. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis.?? Claire was saying. A few old guys lifted their eyes. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. she wouldn??t talk.

 gruff in my ear. It was like five in the morning. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. Sweet Martha.?? ??Understand. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. scenting the air as they burned.?? I wanted to scream. And frankly. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. Maybe a little more.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. my God. dude.

 Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. no bruises that I could see.?? I growled into my cell phone. tied with gold ribbon. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. I didn??t know who he was at first.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. The SFPD did its own investigation. in fact. Clean-cut. My partner. sat back. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags.

 Junie started speaking quickly. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. .?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? respectful manner. I loved him. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. Get it all off your chest.?? Pidge said. As Jablonsky watched. smelled the sour odor of urine. ??No don??ts.?? I growled into my cell phone. Both of them.?? I said.

 Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. . He couldn??t move. over six feet. ah. terror attacks.?? Junie told us.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. for God??s sake. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving. .?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. J. but we were getting no traction at all. the blond one. and I can??t take this anymore.

 Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. had been to the nation. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. It??s about the Campion kid. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. lied to her. Her voice matched her appearance. ??Thank you. Luckily. cutting me off. The house is home to a prostitute.?? I said. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. Mrs. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment