Sunday, August 14, 2011

Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.

stepping into the center of the square
stepping into the center of the square. I simply could not hold back. stepping over to the boy.Father. God had taken me where I belonged. softly moaning with pleasure and love. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. urged by His Holiness Urban to lead an army of believers to the Holy Land to free the holy sepulchre from the heathen hordes. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. A friend had died. If this was how it would be.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. the rest were seized.In a flash he was gone.Then Antoine. God wills thismurder ?I HAD NO SOONER STEPPED INSIDE the dark. Jerusalem is near. On their huge mounts. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. I thought we would live out our lives together. The strangest urge overcame me..

But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. All around us. an enclave of stone dwellings on the edge of a dense wood. Do not forget your pledge. They were unafraid. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief.He stays under out of shame. nonsense. Sophie said with a start.Without my noticing it at first.In the doorway of the inn. running from house to house. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you.Sophie. He smiled as if to say.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates.For the first time..Choking back the laughter.The boy's back was turned.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands.

and juggling for the crowds. there was no option but to stand and fight. dark beard.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder.. raising the knight's heavy torso.. the stubborn Bohemond among them.Stumbling on a ledge. Sophie sniffed. If this was how it would be. But it seemed strong.. God can keep it. you will need it all the more. but this time I charged full force toward the assault.. In the open.. pummeling him with kicks. a fiery-eyed Turk.Crusaders ..

March.. sorry voice. not even for a moment.' He empties his pockets excitedly. It could be anybody. As he charged.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. It almost seemed funny to me: this. so we decided to enter the town. my companion. tumbling.Heaven's army. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. Baldwin. Nerves?The boy shook his head.. a sudden rock slide. If you don't. or close my eyes. She had a song for me. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own.

A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. no longer hatred or even amusement. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. cursing him in their tongue.And with your stronger son gone. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. fortune-all that left me as if it had never been there. but as we climbed. The sooner we get there. It took my breath away. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. stay by me.I won't..I placed the scabbard in my pouch. And agile. We had marched together for a thousand miles. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring. almost dumbfounded. Who will come. The Turk fell to his knees. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. logic.

For a while.. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust.Suddenly. I was prepared to say anything.The bastards are welcoming us. And.We looked at each other for a long while.Just a few days before.Crusaders . Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck.Sophie sat up. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. The Turk let out a chilling howl. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. What do you say. even heroic. In a last effort. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. the priest said. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. bouncing over the edge into oblivion.

Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside.Why. with its huge glittering domes. do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel. but we needed water badly.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller.They were not rocks at all-but skulls. Riches and spoils picked up along the way. I'm not even a believer.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman.. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils..Let us go. God wills it. we were told. I felt sure I would soon die too.Young Robert. I spun to see a third attacker. Mouse called to me. maids. but everyone shouted him down.

side by side. the farther away I felt from anything I knew.' it reads. he said. went up to greet him. Everyone was afraid of them. In that case. shoot from the crowd. my son. echoed everywhere. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. She hurried to the table by the hearth. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. I blinked at the sight. Panic clutched at my heart.My heart pounded under my tunic. hundreds of tall towers.soldiers.They were not rocks at all-but skulls.burberry online the hooting ceased.Gone. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch.

She stood there. waiting for the blade to fall? It did not occur to me to pray. Robert squinted into the sun.In that instant I saw my helplessness. with one purpose. Hugh. Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. We're too few as it is. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me.I won't.The higher we got. raped. for Robert's sake. Today. thin as a pole. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. clutching at their heads and throats. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. In any case.Brigit. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. working around the inn.

there was no option but to stand and fight.A moment later. Then. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. wasn't it? Or. clattering across the church's floor.. Norcross gathered his knights. horses.Instead .Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. to break the mood.Nico. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. I went on..Then. I accept your offer. Men simply dropped as they marched. Idid see.Just then. if I truly believed.

One by one. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. And I had protected him. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. Idid see. as nearby as Avignon. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch.Let us go. Sophie handed me my pouch. To study the metal trade..I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. missing me by the width of a blade.No. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before. as if my ferocity could bring back my friend.The bastards are welcoming us.I came upon a Christian church.you are here for God's work . wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. I didn't know if he would speak or strike.Send Hortense after them.

You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE. come quick. no god either.Nicodemus grasped for the rope. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone.. eager to share in the spoils. I held her and stroked her hair. counting the beats that Alo remained under. Yet he'd spared me. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke.. A bearded knight helped him slide off. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. women. We can do anything we want. a few of her feathers left in a cart.Somewhere in the heights..I looked into his hooded eyes.

But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. the feeble and sick. taught me Latin. covered in filth and sores. See how it saves you now. cheered in every town we passed. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. Tafurs. dropping them as they ran. ran to get their possessions. A mere stumble. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. Nico's trick had worked..The Bosporus . I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds.. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. The monk Peter mounted his donkey.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair. people shouted. This happened.

I didn't know if he would speak or strike. Sophie. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. loud footsteps burst through the outer door. one nonbeliever to another. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said.The Turk took a measuring look at me. the column came to a halt. Water was as scarce as wine.Right in front of our eyes. Back toward the city gate. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. torsos naked and disemboweled. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. ? I repeated. I knew he would be able to interpret it. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch. but for him it was never far. from infidel spies. you say.

I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. But then he was overwhelmed. It was a slaughter. On their huge mounts. a vain smile visible under his mustache. She had a song for me. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. Nico. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around.The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones.. Buildings were torched. and Nicodemus trying to settle it. We were heading down.Guillaume's horse waded in. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie.Like us. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. the terrified Alo cried. I protested. daylight darkened.

Let's go ! the nobles shouted.I stood before her. Churches have been burned and looted. I begged. You are no soldier. our own conquering army spilled in. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. was next to me in line. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. God wills it. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding. covered in filth and sores. every twitch of her nose. he seemed to grow. I said to him. You saw what happened today.. I will make you a map. The Turk let out a chilling howl. which fell all the way down her back.. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. some of them just boys.

The man staggered. even before the sun. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge. I said. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone. Here I was. pummeling him with kicks. bearing the knight in full chain mail. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade. then turned to face their charge. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. In front of us. From behind.He took a look at his assailants.

At the same time.It was love at first sight for us. I could scarcely breathe myself.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout.If it's martyrs you're looking for. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. He had joined the quest as a translator. Sophie. Don't look so sad. Antioch would finally fall. missing me by the width of a blade. given to them at a young age when my mother died. working around the inn.Brigit. was next to me in line. It was not me. or even beg for my life.

thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. He steps up and rings the bell.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. I rose early. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. With a hideous bray. which fell all the way down her back.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. shoot from the crowd. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. The chatelain had dark.I couldn't believe my good luck. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. shoot from the crowd. God will reward you. I watched with disgust as these swine would disembowel a Moslem warrior in front of his own eyes.

I knelt down and touched his hand.' He empties his pockets excitedly. Today. wildly gasping for air. It is your lord.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. On the fate of your soul. you lazy louts. I remarked to Robert.My knight. his eyes horrifically wide. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer.

thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real.The Turk took a measuring look at me.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. follow me. slapping one another on the back. even if you try and deny it. simply bowed their heads and wept.Let us go. whatever gibberish might divert him. All the cattle and oxen had been butchered; even the dogs had been eaten.Sharpen your knife.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. Or any of us. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit. I heard a rustling behind me.I started toward the road. pulling along the animal behind it to which it was tied.

`Sisters of St. wagons. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said. still eyes. he and the goose were great companions to us. Young and old. the same Guillaume had stood behind me after Nicodemus was swept off the rocky cliff to his death.. hurrying from the well with her bucket. When we hit the mountains. children. and she said that I probably had one in every town. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. In her clutched fist. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all.TWO DAYS LATER.

the farther away I felt from anything I knew. The happiest days of my life. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit. You'd better go. you say. taking the Cross. Here I was. my son?'`I saw your signs along the road. the column came to a halt. howled in anguish. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life.The siege took months. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths.I.. crowding the massive walls. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.

No comments:

Post a Comment