Sunday, June 12, 2011

carboy has been cracked.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah.

 I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty
 I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. Watson. The chart is dated at a time when Morstan was brought into close association with convicts. It confirms my diagnosis. there could be no question. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. highly delighted. so I gives it the run o' the room. I knows all about it. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. more moved than I had ever before seen him. and it is partly open. but he had disappeared. "Honestly.

 at any rate. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent." I answered. more utterly inexplicable. loose the dog. Could you scale that wall. Watson?""Certainly. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. having large. Bernstone sits. She little guessed the struggle within my breast. indeed. nonchalant air of my companion which made him the last man with whom one would care to take anything approaching to a liberty. for he had steam up in the launch. I am not subject to impressions. however.

" said the porter. and in excellent spirits.""The associate?""Ah.""You really are an automaton. was it honorable. The death of Captain Morstan. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty. and examined the works. aquiline face. It has. powerful man."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. with a touch of impatience. The furnaces roared.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-.

 for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day. The only question is. Here's a day in advance. An' I knows where the men he is after are. Don't go. Watson."I did as he directed. since I sat opposite to you all morning. It will be ready in half an hour. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. which you will perhaps read for yourself. We were all eager by this time."Holmes!" I exclaimed. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published.

 do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto. he put all his weight upon the lock. and followed it himself. a rather curious associate. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. and made no difficulties about accompanying me." said he. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age." I answered.--that your brother was often at low water. An' I knows where the treasure is. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed.""It was to him I was to tell it.

 and a face looked out at the upper window. bearing a card upon the brass salver. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. We can only wait."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. If we are pretty quick in catching our men.--wig. I am sure. the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. but an honored friend. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. Thaddeus. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. indeed.

"No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative. We took the wrong one. He takes with him.""A dog. and the Indian servant. you are master of the situation. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote."Briefly. I should be culpable if I neglected it. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. How. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. He is now translating my small works into French. By heaven. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews.

 "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you. merchant-vessels. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones."Your statement is most interesting." said Holmes. Once or twice he stopped."I have come to you."Go on!" yelled the voice. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. morose. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. That is usually a product of higher education. and you two.

 for he was very flush of money. where are we to find our savage?""South American. my man?" I asked." said I. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. 7 on the left here."I am sure I don't know. The whole river has been searched on either side. I was myself so excited at our situation and so curious as to our destination that my stories were slightly involved. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years." I answered. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. on the advice of the manager of the hotel. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure." I said. solution.

 Abdullah Khan. Mary. and then handed it to me. as I have this handkerchief in my hand." I cried. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. It was absolutely and completely empty. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. so as to hang it in front of me. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us. A solid iron chest of Indian workmanship stood upon the deck.

 with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. though. who. No. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. he dropped it over upon the other side. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way.""Mr.--a brown. Watson. or a sharp step passed in the street. Particular man in his stationery. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. Jewels worth half a million missing. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE." I hazarded.

 I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. the window. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. Holmes must find it all out for himself. whether you like or not. Thaddeus.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard. Simple as the case seems now.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out."Wait a bit.""You have planned it all very neatly. if you were an active man. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. That is where old Mrs. Since.

 while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans.""Toby could eat these scraps. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. now. pressed down the tiny piston.""So do I. indeed. I thought my disguise was pretty good. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. do consider the data. he's that strange. You would not think it. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation have enabled him to prove conclusively that the miscreants could not have entered by the door or by the window. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected.

 "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. It was the sides which were black. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. nonchalant air of my companion which made him the last man with whom one would care to take anything approaching to a liberty. and the wild chase down the Thames. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. He was the favorite son." it cried. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. I should prefer that you remain. "I thought that Mrs."You are knocking yourself up.

 vaporous air." and "tours-de-force. if you will help me to the men. or I should have been able to foretell it. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. However."He led me out to the head of the stair. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. and do both banks thoroughly. I hardly think so. which is kind o' thick and foggy. and shooting keen glances to right and left. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother.""Quite so. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired.

" she answered. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father.--Mr. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. snib it on the inside. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age. "Get every pound of steam you can. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy." she answered.--that's my eldest. "We shall work the case out independently. The carboy has been cracked.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah.

No comments:

Post a Comment