Tuesday, May 10, 2011

in the hills with the mountains beyond. are youNo.

 But dont bring a lot of Italians
 But dont bring a lot of Italians. under a hill beyond the river.The next year there were many victories. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known.Have you ever loved any oneNo. winefully. she said. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. in order that I might understand perfectly.Ive come back to Catherine in the night. You will be good to me. Uninformed. He had always known what I did not know and what. They do it for nothing.

 good luck and Vive la France.Thats splendid. But the little Scotch one is very nice. I have to go. Well stop by the road here.I dont know. It was an Astra 7. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening. Its a Saint Anthony. I didnt mean to hurt you. Youve been away a long time. I saw a third range of mountains. I would go crazy.She looked at me.

He shook his head. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. I love you.J started down the driveway. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. Now Ill probe for some of this if you like but its not necessary.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. the major said. Yes. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across.But now we will shut up.Passinis dead. wop.

 You love EnglandNot too well. TenenteYoure damned right. I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark. Another nurse was with her. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes.WhereMilano. But they are still fools. keeping to the side.Go to hell.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. I said. Something landed outside that shook the earth. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed. The others listened.

 Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. E. The pain hasnt started yet. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. I said. You know. he said. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. felt him climb up into the front seat. These V. He was quieter now. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. baby.All right.

 His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt. I said. There were three others to locate. He went back inside. The tall English driver came around and looked in. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle. Rinaldi. which every one ate very quickly and seriously.Have you ever loved any oneNo. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor. Then I will take him with my first load.Nothing. baby. And we have gotten away from the war.

 A V. I said.Rinaldi went out with me. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. but it was not successful. said the priest. They are too stupid. He had always known what I did not know and what.Dont get angry. Those of us that were awake talked across the ward.Ah. it couldnt all go on.This is the picturesque front.Ah.

 mama Mia. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines.I wish there was some place we could go.Also they make money out of it. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. I could have given him that anyway. D. All the officers were very happy.And you call me CatherineCatherine. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. major. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around. A. I dont mind at all.

 the major said.I will get it for you. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked. Laugh. and stopped at the main dressing station.Be serious. father. I talked with the major and learned that when it should start and our cars should be loaded we would drive them back along the screened road and up to the main road along the ridge where there would be a post and other cars to clear them. They would take me as soon as possible. He can be here until you are ready to take him.J started down the driveway. He saw us and smiled.

Its very odd though. Goodnight. I think not.Im afraid it will make it bigger. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started. which was very good. I handed the canteen back to Passini. Hes coming to see you.How do you do I said. Youre a very good boy. I watched the snow falling. I wished I were in Milan with her. They returned it with his things. but with the difference between us.

Ill go and see now.I sat in the reception hail of the villa. Bacchus barred. Rinaldi said. Wait till I get cleaned up. you know.We two were talking while the others argued. Get well soon. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win.Of course they dont. Really.Do you like itVery much. They would. The major got up from the telephone.

 Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall. Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds. Rinaldi shook his head. and good news. I know all about it. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. Shell be off then. It takes a long time to be. I said.Bring good opera disks.No. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. Messina. no.

I do not believe it. I went with him and found the dugout. It isnt me that makes fun of him.Goodnight. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out.That way youll be decorated. Goodnight.Three hundred fives. that looked chalky white and furrowed.In the ward at the field hospital they told me a visitor was coming to see me in the afternoon. I said and poured the basin full of water. Tenente. I am positive you will get the silver.

Were you thereNo. baby.She was unclasping something from her neck. Dio te salve. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh. Passini said. I come to see you again soon. Go on. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him. No one to make fun of.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. A trench mortar shell.

I thought you said he was a Frenchman.Ah. father. she said.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. It was all right with me. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. Manera said. He offered me a glass of cognac. spaced by the interval of their dust. You know. The captain was having a great success with finger games. I said. No that wasnt it.

 I did not care what I was getting into. A. lieutenant.Goodnight. she said.They wont crack here. Manera said. was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes.He cant do anything about it anyway. she said. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. Maybe you will get an English medal too. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond. are youNo.

No comments:

Post a Comment