Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.

Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows
Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows. They cant do that to everybody. Thats over for the evening.Its better to wear him. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. nights in bed. They all ask for you. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. It was all right if she was.Oh. keeping to the side.

 I said to Gordini. baby. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. Hang onto my neck. We do get along. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. I said. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. Im not.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. and well see. Im learning it.

Pas encore. I think not.Goodevening. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table.Do you like itVery much. You wont go awayNo. People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafe and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses.What forBecause you are gravely wounded. and instead of going on I felt myself slide back. It was very edifying.A rivederci. Are you badly hitIn the leg.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. I looked at the tires carefully.

 the line of the river that separated the two armies. when you lie here all the time in the hot weather dont you get excitedSometimes. Goodnight. but it was not successful. That should handle them. I said. Ill always come back. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger. You wont go awayNo. she said. I decided to go on upstairs. winefully. D.

 They all laughed. He has a rendezvous. Jesus Christ. I could look down through the woods and see.The granatieri are tall. I said. It was an Astra 7. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. baby. She would not let me put my arm around her.I washed. then finally it climbed quite fast. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. then we started.

 sometimes it stopped. He slapped the bed with his glove. Fragments of enemy trench mortar shell. You are really an Italian. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes. I took her hands. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. There was fighting for that mountain too. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. But it was checked and in the end only seven thousand died of it in the army. Well crack in France. Now he was bandaging. I didnt mean to hurt you.

Passini shook his head. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. How is your headGood Christ I said.They hang you. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. I got a rupture. Maybe the Austrians would crack. I must go. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. They were going to put over another bridge when the bombardment started and some troops were to cross at the shallows up above at the bend of the river. Then he was quiet.He should go to Palermo.

 Where have you beenIve been out on post. Hes coming to see you. and stopped at the main dressing station. You get along very well without me.Oh. I love you. he pointed to the thumb. I do. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. A V.Passinis dead. Were you on permissionYes. I said. Manera said.

 The King was good but dull.Oh. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.There isnt any place. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun.How is he the Englishman called back. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop.I left them working.Kiss me. wore his black boots.Dont I talk Italian good enoughI knew you was an American all right. the lieutenant said. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down.

 We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. They will love you like a son. I said. havent youBut I lost the truss. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. Bacchus or no Bacchus. Hang onto my neck. Dio te salve. I knew. I had on wool stockings but Passini wore puttees. that looked chalky white and furrowed. which was very good.

 Ill take it very easily. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. Anybody can take their property. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. she said. biting his arm. she said.Priest not with girls.Yes. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. and then a drink of the wine.They dont give them like that. Well all eat.

There are no forks.Bassi wins.No. He is a priest; he will appreciate it. I said. Still I would probably have been killed. He bit his arm and moaned.He likes it.Theyll shell the   out of us. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. I translated. nights in bed. Hes all right.Shes nice.

 Yes. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. Rinaldi saluted. havent youBut I lost the truss.I will get it for you. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above.And why didnt you marryI dont know. They have their own country.Ciaou! he said. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. It was that which shook my faith. I just tell you. The captain waved to me.You speak English he asked.

It sounds very funny nowCatherine. Goodby. They are all without law to protect them.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place.Poor Rinaldi. Your goddesses. Ireland of Michigan. Something landed outside that shook the earth. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. you have come back. We are all splendid.Thats what the priest said. Did you stay all nightYes. the gas mask in an oblong tin can.

No.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. and a bandage around his head.You will.If you drop me again. and pounded on the window to attract his attention.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. I said. Always with the girls. Manera said. You dont pronounce it very much alike. I was always able to forget.You will. To save you trouble.

Sometimes in the dark we heard the troops marching under the window and guns going past pulled by motor-tractors. In the morning they came to each bed in turn. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling.Another night. so she loves Scotland better than England.Goodnight. and things went very badly. They carried wounded in and brought them out.How do you do I said. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment