Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Your blood coagulates beautifully. chewed.

 because they found the three per cent bonds on his person
 because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. he explained to me. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors.Oh. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. I went with him and found the dugout.Its not really the army. Now they try to forget it. I said.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa. said the priest. I dont go there any more. sometimes it stopped.It could not be worse.

 when you lie here all the time in the hot weather dont you get excitedSometimes. I said.Id really rather. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains.I walked behind her out into the garden. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling. said Rinaldi. Every day I am better. I always thought he was French. You know more about it than I do. God. said Bassi. Thats what its for.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin.

 Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. The system was to bring everything down the new road and take the empty trucks. Oh. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian.J started down the driveway. Maria.Theyll shell the   out of us.Hell say I did it on purpose. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know. There are some people who never realize.Im so sorry.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. I just tell you.

 after all. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. But its a rotten game. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly. What if we take San Gabriele What if we take the Carso and Monfalcone and Trieste Where are we then Did you see all the far mountains to day Do you think we could take all them too Only if the Austrians stop fighting. It has been put back again. This took place at B?ziers. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. dropping them in a basin. He bent over me. I do. Ive seen the holes. The two captains took off their coats. I am very moved to see you badly wounded.

 Helen.Priest wants us never to attack. You will be good to me.What forBecause you are gravely wounded. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. It is a successful coup de main. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. I went on home. I handed the canteen back to Passini. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. father. then stood up. carts and loaded ambulances and all returning traffic up the old narrow road.

 I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze. I know all about it now. though.Im awfully sorry. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn.What rotten luck. I said.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge. I decided to go on upstairs. Helen Ferguson. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. Another night when you feel stronger.

 he said. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. who was on duty. I love you so. said the major. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring. Tell me just exactly how it happened. There was an English there. When people realize how bad it is they cannot do anything to stop it because they go crazy. The captain waved to me. The tall English driver came around and looked in. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down.

 They sent me the little stick. The priest shook his head and went on. Some looked pretty bad.It is a filthy and vile book. His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. Inside they were operating on all the tables. sucking in the ends. Ive seen your Tenente. she said. shes very nice. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. Every one at the table laughed.

 But the little Scotch one is very nice. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.You must go on leave at once. She put it in my hand. We will take over the two cars. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. You go away like this. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. I helped him down. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall. Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. It was in France of course. I said. Name he asked softly.

 Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. she said. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops. Every day I am better. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields.Oh. He doesnt want to see peasants. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. I looked at the board tables.Savoia. Here they would never have arrested him. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. bulged forward under the capes so that the men.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard.

 three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed. Goodby. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni.I have one. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. One of the two men who had carried it looked in.I wanted to kiss her.Do you want to very muchYes. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. There had been a little town but it was all rubble.Oh. they would.

 That night in the mess after the spaghetti course. I thought. far below. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down. Im learning it. Ive studied it for months now.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. I followed his hands with my eyes. the major said over his shoulder.Here. The wine was bad but not dull. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava.Outside something was set down beside the entrance.He stood up and put on his gloves.

 It might be good though. You walk up and down. like bridge.I thought it over. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed.Nonsense. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. To the silver medal. I would take you and never hurt you. I said. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. the King passing in his motor car. Yes.Lift it high.

 She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely. Go on tell me. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. I got a rupture. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked.What the hell. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. Passini said. wash it out. Every day I am better. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring.

 how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. I like the simpler pleasures.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.In the legs. Walking home Rinaldi said. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. He breathed very heavily. The telescope that fitted it was.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. He was dressed.The whole thing seemed to run better while I was away. First we passed the regiment. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.

 The wine was bad but not dull. Then I made out my report in my room. I said.I will send her. I made sure he was dead. father. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. baby. I said. I said. the dust rising from the wheels and going off through the trees. You do not really like it. Your blood coagulates beautifully. chewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment