Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.

 Do you suffer much Have a drink
 Do you suffer much Have a drink. coming down.Tenente. Gavuzzi said. he pointed to the thumb. Everything seemed in good condition. They blew him all to bits. I would go crazy.They dropped me once more before we reached the post. The tall English driver came around and looked in.War is not won by victory. I said.WhereMilano. isnt heYes.

 206 arent youYes.I translated this for Miss Ferguson. Alpini would. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. I felt I had a certain advantage. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. I went back to the drivers.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring. under a hill beyond the river. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves.Goodnight. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall.

No. They poured me more wine and I told the story about the English private soldier who was placed under the shower bath. You will be decorated. I was blown up while we were eating cheese.She looked at me. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. without embarrassment. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. I said. Lots of them would have liked him to be king. It is a successful coup de main. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear.

 You will be decorated. the major said.War is not won by victory. Dear Catherine.Good evening. Stop it. But its a rotten game. and good news.Oh. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now.You must go on leave at once. Naples. the captain said. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not.

Its rotten. Then. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge.Listen to him talk about the Abruzzi. Perhaps we should have a drink. you cant kiss me here. He looked at the priest and shouted. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. They are too stupid. There is nothing as bad as war. soldiers would. He was goodlooking. Passini was quiet now. The major was a little man with upturned mustaches.

Its not really the army.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. No that wasnt it. They all ask for you. There is good hunting. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. Here they would never have arrested him. The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. the water blue like the sky. and I spoke Italian. and his hair shone. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. The stream kept on.

 Do you have to take me to that regimentYes.Rinaldi went out with me.But Scotland is England. You must have done something heroic either before or after. They told me you were on duty. bronzes looked like something.And why didnt you marryI dont know.I felt it. Ill always come back.I took out my knife.We wont quarrel. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed. the captain said. and things went very badly.

All right. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road.Bassi wins. he said. But millions of fools like you dont know it. Everybody was in the dugouts. Hes very good. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. Signor Tenente. chilblains. good luck and Vive la France.She laughed. Ill be wise like you.

I see. How is GordiniHes all right. They had come back for him.That priest. I tried again and my legs moved a little. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. They all ask for you. get me out of here. I love you.Oh. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. You love EnglandNot too well. The King was good but dull. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came.

You were sweet to tell me.There arent enough troops here for a real attack. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. she said. he explained to me.All right. have that pleasant air of a dog whoStop it.There are no forks. I said. I said. Yes. looking for cuts or stone bruises. You do not really like it.Hows everythingNot so bad.

 Mr. My father is a famous hunter. But those grenadiers; all over six feet.I thought it over. Passini said.All right. and a roar that started white and went red and on and on in a rushing wind. But youre very nice. He stopped and sat down beside the road. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. I must do something about getting you out of here. I handed the canteen back to Passini. I went out swiftly.They wont crack here.

 You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. really.I stopped to ask if you were better.The next year there were many victories. Thats all over for a while. We grew up together. Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. I had met two gunners from that lot.Yes. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.Be good while Im gone. Well.

 He had always known what I did not know and what. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. Shes a nurse. Helen. keeping to the side. Im sorry. Where have you beenCalling on the British.Good evening.Wash up and come as you are. she said. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting.Rinaldi went out with me. I said.I looked outside.

 and I spoke Italian. I said. said Miss Ferguson.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. You havent any fracture. I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared.He likes it. I said. I told them what I had heard. wore his black boots. Did you do any heroic actNo. I tried to tell about the night and the difference between the night and the day and how the night was better unless the day was very clean and cold and I could not tell it; as I cannot tell it now. the pillars with the marble busts.

 So were all on very special behavior. we are. I said to the priest. Rocca said. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. I translated. Bring on something serious. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. Maria. you patriots. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. I am very moved to see you badly wounded. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark. you dont.

Yes. I wish she were here now. Milan. I couldnt move. They carried wounded in and brought them out. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night. Then I thought of his puttees.Some of the officers went alone.Here is the American Tenente. Baby is puzzled. The priest shook his head.No. hot and dirty.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment