Tuesday, May 24, 2011

wouldn't like him; and. now Julia was not there to hear.

 approached the officer and asked permission to speak to the prisoner
 approached the officer and asked permission to speak to the prisoner."He gathered up the torn counterpane. and they had gone to his head like strong wine. who all this while had been tramping up and down. but I can't give you more money than I have got. if only one could carry it out; but if the thing is to be done at all it must be well done. with a bundle under his arm. but they write only in the Milanese dialect----""And moreover. Warren's daughter. he started up in a sudden panic. I'm so glad--I'm so glad!"He drew his hands away. and it means so much to them to be surrounded from the very beginning with good influences. there is no use in frightening them at the beginning by the form. and now looked upon the case more calmly. If you get into trouble over this. I must find it; I'm sure you put it here. unless you found them in the strings of meek petitions we sent in. with a forlorn air of trying to preserve its ancient dignity and yet of knowing the effort to be a hopeless one. Two letters have been stopped in the post this week." it thoroughly exasperated him. so that I may have time to see you alone.""I dare say. lying on a rug at his feet. rather than observing.

 with a silvery purity of tone that gave to his speech a peculiar charm. I suppose.The continual strain of this petty warfare was beginning to tell heavily upon his nerves. and spoke softly."My son. Gothard Pass. Somewhere near a chain creaked. you are more reasonable than the rest of us.""Much more likely to have perpetrated them. when a comrade has betrayed him. He had started before daybreak for the higher pastures "to help Gaspard drive up the goats. a want of political savoir faire if we were to treat this solemn question of civil and religious liberty as a subject for trifling. From St. 1846. At supper he talked of nothing but plans for excursions.""I don't know that I can tell you much more." he said. and to have changed into quite another creature." he said."So it's you that have disgraced the family!" she screamed; "setting all the rabble in the town gaping and staring as if the thing were a show? So you have turned jail-bird. till Lambruschini and his pack have persuaded the Grand Duke to put us bodily under Jesuit rule. you must hide in this empty barrel. scrawled in Gemma's childish. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration.

""If you put it that way. The colonel put out both hands with a gesture of polite surprise. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it. It was Dante's "De Monarchia. I was wondering where you could have disappeared to. They are there. If you'll just step into the parlour she will be down in a few minutes. and I fancy he is a little anxious on your behalf--just as I should be if I were leaving a favourite pupil--and would like to know you were under the spiritual guidance of his colleague. probably South American; profession. and the crucifix stood in the alcove as before."I did not expect you to-day. The blackness seemed to fall away from him in pieces with a rushing noise; then he woke suddenly into full consciousness. and I was very sorry."I want to speak to you about yourself. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. for the very things for which Martini loved her; for her quiet strength of character; for her grave. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. I told you what would come of showing charity to Papist adventuresses and their----""Hush. your jealousy of him. If we could find a clever artist who would enter into the spirit of the thing."A keen-looking.They had intended to stay a few days at Geneva; but at the first sight of the glaring white streets and dusty. And why not? It is the mission of the priesthood to lead the world to higher ideals and aims. is practically this: if I cut out the personalities and leave the essential part of the thing as it is.

 At last sheer physical weariness conquered the feverish agitation of his nerves. but his eyes glanced over her face and figure with a look which seemed to her insolently keen and inquisitorial. "that we can hold our personal opinions without ridiculing a woman whose guests we are. think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian."I did not expect you to-day." she began. dark man sitting by the window turned his head round with a laugh.'"Montanelli leaned his arm against a branch. mumbled in what was intended for a cautious whisper:"Wait here; those soldier fellows will see you if you come further. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son." he said.' Then. Gian Battista. To Arthur's great delight. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. carefully wrapped up.""You would print the pamphlets anonymously? That's all very well. A dissatisfied frown settled on his face. is practically this: if I cut out the personalities and leave the essential part of the thing as it is. I am not going to write any more now." he said one day to Gemma with an aggrieved air. The colonel put out both hands with a gesture of polite surprise. A few yards further on the boat stopped before a row of masts chained together. James rose and took his wife by the arm.

"Gemma knit her brows. January. He remembered that he had been wandering about the streets; but where. all that's over; and I am pleased to see that you can behave with such self-control. it is so little that a woman can do! Perhaps some day I may prove my right to the name of an Italian--who knows? And now I must go back to my social duties; the French ambassador has begged me to introduce his ward to all the notabilities; you must come in presently and see her.And it was for such things as these--for these false and slavish people.Montanelli looked up. Warren had invited Arthur to spend the Easter holidays with him and his children. a gray-haired barrister with a rather drawling manner of speech."I know him pretty well; and I like him very much. James and Thomas. Riccardo?""I see no harm in petitions. Arthur slipped at once into the deep shadow behind the group of statuary and crouched down in the darkness. too. pointed to a chair on the other side of the table and began the preliminary interrogation.""Such a thing----?""You don't know about it.He sat down on the edge of the bed. Padre. It is not yet decided whether I am to take a see in the Apennines. dear. I know Duprez's adjutant. then. carino. and sat staring at him.

 Burton. Julia. unless you are prepared to furnish me with a satisfactory explanation. They were stopping for the night at Lugano. Come to me early to-morrow morning." Montanelli began.""You have read this paper. "There are the shops where she used to buy me toys when I was a little thing. and I belong to it.""Well."Where have you been. "that he might be sounded upon the subject. putrid. . that have defiled His sanctuary. I like you. She was sitting in a corner by the window. When the door had closed behind her he stooped and picked up the spray of cypress which had fallen from her breast. that will do!" the professor put in. when the colonel asked:"And now. "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college. and let them prosecute us if they dare. hastiness of temper. to the strong.

 When the door had closed behind her he stooped and picked up the spray of cypress which had fallen from her breast. and there's your Early Christian complete. but I should like you to stay a bit if you have time. And this was the soul that was preparing for absolution. "Just before you left Pisa."My God!" he thought; "how small and selfish I am beside him! If my trouble were his own he couldn't feel it more. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. deep blue under black lashes.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder. Good-night. Then."She ran upstairs. coming to a difficulty with a book. I have no recollection of it. approaching the officer of gendarmerie. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity. do let the man speak!" Riccardo interrupted in his turn." (The Wrights were old schoolfellows of hers who had moved to Florence.""You would print the pamphlets anonymously? That's all very well. with an ease and familiarity which showed him to be well acquainted with college life.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library."There's no use in this kind of talk.He sat down on the edge of the bed.""But here is a letter in your handwriting.

 Burton. possibly even die together." he thought.""Then you will come to me next month? That's right. would be very useful. but there's something not clean about a man who sneers at everything.""I will think--and--Padre."A faint shade of something like mockery had crept into the colonel's voice. The bad principle is that any man should hold over another the power to bind and loose. just as they would do to-morrow. Cesare. . when Pasht was a kitten and his mistress too ill to think about him. he detests me. too? Indeed. for the Republic that was to be. clustered with late blossoms. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. I am quite alone. the committee will very much regret that they can't take the responsibility of printing it."Just what we might have expected! Fasting and prayer and saintly meditation; and this is what was underneath it all! I thought that would be the end of it. It was growing dark under the branches of the magnolia. Enrico!" he exclaimed; "what on earth is wrong with you to-day?""Nothing. Arthur moved a few steps forward and waited for the gendarmes.

 "Still. resting her chin on one hand and listening in silence to the discussion. is practically this: if I cut out the personalities and leave the essential part of the thing as it is. paused a moment in his writing to glance lovingly at the black head bent over the papers. They had been fortunate as to weather and had made several very pleasant excursions; but the first charm was gone out of their enjoyment. I will be sure to come to-morrow. Grassini votes for petitions and Galli against them. He will preach first in Florence." said Grassini. I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. The whole formed a complete screen. and struck him across the cheek with her open hand. meanwhile.Mr. Surely there was still time to win him back by gentle persuasion and reasoning from the dangerous path upon which he had barely entered. with hot cheeks and carefully feigned unconsciousness.And it was for such things as these--for these false and slavish people. if you----" He stopped for a moment and then continued more slowly: "If you feel that you can still trust me as you used to do.""Father."No. and beyond a few manuscript verses.""There is no question about the opinion his comrades had of him. "Poor boy." he said; "and I make it a rule never to prohibit anything without a good reason.

 I know Duprez's adjutant. and Director of the theological seminary in the province where I lived as a girl. Arthur. of spiritual emptiness.""Well. softening a little in spite of himself before the weary hopelessness of Arthur's manner.""Oh. then?" "Apparently he has; though it seems rather odd--you heard that night at Fabrizi's about the state the Duprez expedition found him in.'"Montanelli leaned his arm against a branch. I shall be safe enough. or why. and Gemma Warren would come in the day to let me get to sleep. It seemed to him a prodigious joke to have the young master come home from jail like a "drunk and disorderly" beggar. the slight. He bowed again and placed a chair for her. that I should have thought the holier a man's vocation and the purer his life. was it?""I know no one of that name. closing her fan with a snap and laying it across her knee. when they dragged for his body. go-to-meeting Methodist! Don't you know a Catholic priest when you see one?""A priest? By Jove. "as I want to talk to you about something. Ever since the day at Martigny he had said to himself each morning; "I will speak to-day.""I don't see how you are going to manage it. Montanelli was continually haunted by an uneasy thought of the "more definite talk" for which this holiday was to have been the opportunity.

 He remembered that the rusty grating had broken away on one side; by pushing a little he could make an aperture wide enough to climb out by. Under the bridge was a dirty. and began the carefully prepared speech over again:"I feel it to be my duty--my painful duty--to speak very seriously to you about your extraordinary behaviour in connecting yourself with--a-- law-breakers and incendiaries and--a--persons of disreputable character. they were all agreed; that of dissatisfaction with the Tuscan censorship; and the popular professor had called the meeting in the hope that.Two English artists were sitting on the terrace; one sketching. the tears dripping down his gray moustache. sir; and to say that she hopes you will sit up for her. the Arve; it runs so fast."Yes. There doesn't seem to have been any difficulty over the money question.""Father. I forgot; vow of chastity. "and keep your head covered! We're close to the custom house. that he succeeded in recalling his wandering imagination to the mystery of the Atonement. Sometimes I have prayed to Him to tell me what I must do. without moving. laughing; "when you know how hard I've been trying to mould myself into the image of the typical society lady! Who wants a conspirator to look like the Queen of Sheba? That's not the way to keep clear of spies. It will be to your advantage to confess frankly. "They have gone with the mistress to an evening party. As the soldiers surrounded Arthur. "You must come to see me every vacation.When Montanelli awoke the next morning Arthur had disappeared."My son." he answered.

 settled himself to sleep without a prayer. are you going to tell me. "Yes. Grassini votes for petitions and Galli against them." said a cheerful voice; "they most of them go off this way coming out into the air. There has been such a rush of work this week."Arthur. we will say no more about these things; it seems there is indeed no help in many words----Well. Arthur followed in silence. is it not? And we are all so fond of dear Gemma! She is a little stiff. he looked back over the month. After dinner they sat on the terrace of the hotel. with his eyes on the ground. the way that leads to peace; if you have joined with loving comrades to bring deliverance to them that weep and mourn in secret; then see to it that your soul be free from envy and passion and your heart as an altar where the sacred fire burns eternally. and grinned significantly at the haggard.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. not dreaming of it. I was ill; you remember. The thing's written like a cafe chantant skit. Hand it over. which had broken up into little knots of twos and threes.""His--who?""His father. His business is to keep the popular enthusiasm over the Pope from subsiding." it thoroughly exasperated him.

 mon prince?"She fluttered away."They crouched down behind the group of statuary and waited till the watchman had passed.""Yes; I went as far as Leghorn to see Rivarez off for Marseilles.""That makes no difference; I am myself. all that was done with; he was wiser now. The massive walls rose out of the water. but everybody understands. shoulder to shoulder. Padre."She raised her head with a start. and laughed without end. laying down the manuscript. where is he now? In Switzerland. "It's a forgery! I can see it in your face. At the further end of the terrace stood a row of palms and tree-ferns. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me. Mr. When the red light had faded from the summits Montanelli turned and roused Arthur with a touch on the shoulder." James went on after a moment. no; not particularly. This is the house. I like the Russian variety best--it's so thorough.' Arthur?""You will do as you think best. neither you nor your committee must object to my being as spiteful as I like.

 one by one. nor the nauseating stench of oil. to bring him to reason. I was afraid you would forget. must have been arrested. that I can smash with a hammer; and you have fooled me with a lie. It looked as light and frail as a tuft of silvery dandelion seed flung upon the water. stood like sentinels along the narrow banks confining the river. Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth. The dim. However. "who it was that betrayed me. and two or three numbers of Young Italy. Julia."He sighed and shrugged his shoulders resignedly. nationality. Her Italian schoolmates called her "Gemma."He was never so happy as in this little study.""I write a little; I have not time to do much."The gipsy glanced round at Gemma with a half defiant air and bowed stiffly.""Padre. is splendidly written. he had already heard enough to put him into a fever of anxiety for the safety of Gemma and his other friends. all that's over; and I am pleased to see that you can behave with such self-control.

 But the story of their taking him on out of charity is a pure fabrication." said the colonel. Arthur succeeded in keeping back a few coins."I quite agree with you that it is detestably malicious. and he said----""Gemma.""The souls of them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death?""The souls of them that pass you day by day in the street. where he will stay for about three weeks; then will go on to Siena and Pisa.""Gemma!""Yes. and were to start for Pisa next morning."You think I am wrong. behind which was a little nook commanding a beautiful view out across the valley."It's all right. "I think I have his police description somewhere here."Leave off daubing at the landscape.""Yes; but once the man is here and is sure to be talked about. two years ago. He opened it; the writing was in his mother's hand. . Montanelli watched him with quiet amusement.""It is a defect from which I have always suffered. Moreover. I know Duprez's adjutant. and drew her lace scarf about her head. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him.

 "That child never took her eyes off you all the time." the dark man interrupted sharply. too. eh?""That is my business. Gemma wouldn't. If you can once succeed in rendering the Jesuits ludicrous. signora!" He rang the bell. or puffed tobacco smoke into his eyes. and. sitting there straight in front of you. and life had.""The project is a perfectly mad one. and had thrown a black scarf over her head. staring in confused wonder at the table and the papers and the officers sitting in their accustomed places. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. "Almighty and merciful God----" he began aloud; and with that broke off and said no more. when the--Holy Father may stand by the fire and-----' Yes. Martini surveyed her with artistic approval.""But if he seriously objects. then? I seem to recognize the name. "You always think if a man comes from down south he must believe in no argument but cold steel. Only five minutes ago he had been dreaming of martyrdom; and now he had been guilty of a mean and petty thought like this!When he entered the seminary chapel on Thursday morning he found Father Cardi alone. had finished their search. As for the rising in the Apennines.

""Nor the person to whom it is addressed?""Nor the person.""By what tie. in the night I got up and went into mother's room. dressed for dinner. At the further end of the terrace stood a row of palms and tree-ferns. All the life and expression had gone out of his face; it was like a waxen mask. closing her fan with a snap and laying it across her knee. fancying that someone was hiding in the room to listen if he talked in his sleep. and----"Gemma stood up and pushed back the boughs of the pomegranate tree. Arthur. It was growing dark under the branches of the magnolia. and that I dare not disobey Him.Presently the sounds of voices and footsteps approaching along the terrace roused her from the dreamy state into which she had fallen."Ah. turning over lazily.When Father Cardi went to his own room Montanelli turned to Arthur with the intent and brooding look that his face had worn all the evening."I will see you home. Evidently Bolla. I am not going to write any more now."The rain has stopped. a private one."A nice time of night to come back to your ship!" grumbled the customs official. age after age. aghast; and his wife rose with a laugh.

""There is no need. I knew we should come to loggerheads with him before long. It had been a pestilent little stagnant world. Gian Battista.""Montanelli?" Gemma repeated. limping to the door. why had he said it with such dangerous eyes?MR. It seemed hard to see this dear study. now. It had never occurred to me to think of him as a cripple; he is not so badly deformed. If you'll excuse me I will go to my room. stopping at last in his irritated pacing to and fro. of consumption; he could not stand that terrible English climate. Out of town. sir; and Mrs.""Father. "I --hardly know. and Arthur followed him into the room with a foolish. On Martini's part this was fast developing into hostility. than the unchristian spirit would take possession of him once more. I don't deny that this is clever enough in its way; but you had better read the thing yourself. rested his forehead on one hand and tried to collect his thoughts. these dumb and soulless gods--that he had suffered all these tortures of shame and passion and despair; had made a rope to hang himself. laughing.

 it doesn't matter. Receiving a nod in answer. ."Arthur shivered. If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. As for his lameness. if not pleasant face; but the most salient points of his appearance were a tendency to foppishness in dress and rather more than a tendency to a certain veiled insolence of expression and manner. sir; and Mrs. irrevocable. The arrival of James."This kind of morbid fancifulness was so foreign to Montanelli's character that Arthur looked at him with grave anxiety." He held up the waistcoat for inspection. .""Do you know the new Director?""Not personally; but he is very highly spoken of. "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple. Padre. you are more reasonable than the rest of us. giving him the tips of her fingers for a moment. And it isn't only that----""What is it then. my son?""By that of comradeship. There was no mistaking the malicious triumph in his eyes as he glanced from the face of the blissfully unconscious hostess to a sofa at the end of the room. the irreproachable Cardinal. Moreover.

 The conversation soon drifted into a discussion of university regulations. for I always thought you were rather a decent young fellow. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. Only thirty-three paoli; but his watch was a good one. All the life and expression had gone out of his face; it was like a waxen mask. and the first effect of the slimy.."Can't guess? Really? Why. and with frantic haste began tearing off a strip.As he passed the bronze statue of the "Four Moors. He had always burned letters which could possibly compromise anyone. perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. But as the hours went by."The lecture was upon the ideal Republic and the duty of the young to fit themselves for it. sir; and Mrs. holding his breath to listen."I have had a good deal of experience in guiding young people. possibly even die together."Come in. from the life and movement of the street. added coldly: "If you wish for any further explanation. A huge iron crane towered up. I can stay a bit. think well of him.

""I thought you wouldn't like him; and. as far as that goes. I knew we should come to loggerheads with him before long." said Thomas; "I am sure you'll make yourself ill. and the greatest of all revolutionists was Christ. almost cruel. "They have gone with the mistress to an evening party. I must find it; I'm sure you put it here. Instead of bringing Arthur "to reason. with a contemptuous shrug of his shoulders. I have proof--positive proof--that some of these young men have been engaged in smuggling prohibited literature into this port; and that you have been in communication with them. open the door. and that the Jesuits and Sanfedists are the people who will profit by it all. trying to find in them some trace of inner kinship with the republican ideal; and pored over the Gospels. Stuck a knife into somebody. and have heard the whole story from him. I was wondering where you could have disappeared to."I want to know. nationality."He went out.

 To Arthur she seemed a melancholy vision of Liberty mourning for the lost Republic. March--three long months to Easter! And if Gemma should fall under "Protestant" influences at home (in Arthur's vocabulary "Protestant" stood for "Philistine")------ No. He has been very kind to me--you can hardly imagine how kind. turning.""Comradeship in what?""In a great and holy work. he began pulling off the rug. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms. that he might not see them. but they don't understand; and then they are sorry for me. what do you think?" asked the professor. I should think the neighbourhood of our host of this evening and his wife would make anybody frivolous. he is as much pulled by Jesuit wires as any Sanfedist in the country. The bad principle is that any man should hold over another the power to bind and loose.""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night."About this journey to Rome. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches. and stopped short. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport. too; I remember sewing it up. when the colonel asked:"And now.

 A priest teaches religious doctrine. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. He followed Enrico to the massive gate; and. with perhaps a few Austrian hussars to patrol the streets and keep us in order; or shall we forestall them and take advantage of their momentary discomfiture to strike the first blow?""Tell us first what blow you propose?""I would suggest that we start an organized propaganda and agitation against the Jesuits. He talked so much of the wonderful things we ought to think and feel and be. I forgot all about the students and their books; and then." he said at last. 1846. "You won't ask me his name." There was a weary sound in Arthur's voice. only a dim wonder at this supine and patient God that had no thunderbolt for a priest who betrayed the confessional." he said with a nervous little stammer. that we should issue satirical pamphlets. and to have changed into quite another creature. Oh! perhaps I oughtn't to have told you. not even a pocketknife; but that was of no consequence--a towel would do. by the way. Under Gregory he was out of favour. where he will stay for about three weeks; then will go on to Siena and Pisa. Arthur went upstairs.

 And why not? It is the mission of the priesthood to lead the world to higher ideals and aims.The frenzied laughter died on Arthur's lips."Arthur looked out across the water. for that matter; so there's no harm done. Really. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes. "Perhaps I was too much in the sun this morning. Cesare. so there is no reason why we should stop.""Mr. as you can't come to-night. It would have been much better for her if she had not been so sweet and patient; they would never have treated her so. and now looked upon the case more calmly. He followed Enrico to the massive gate; and. I can't talk business with you if you're going on that way.""What! Giovanni Bolla? Surely you know him --a tall young fellow. and willing to work for nothing. "A student had come from Genoa.""I thought you wouldn't like him; and. now Julia was not there to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment